About Us

Official opening of the Invercargill Public Art Gallery by the Mayor of Invercargill Mr B W Hewat in 1951

Invercargill Public Art Gallery was established in 1951 after more than two decades of lobbying by residents for a Public Art Gallery. The gifting of Victoria Park (now Anderson Park) to the city of Invercargill by the Anderson family allowed the Invercargill City Council to provide a home to the Invercargill Public Art Collection. The Gallery's name changed to Anderson Park Art Gallery in 1971.

After over two years of closure, in June 2016, the Gallery changed its name back from Anderson Park Art Gallery to Invercargill Public Art Gallery.

Since its establishment, the Gallery has built a comprehensive collection of visual and applied arts that encompasses early European through to contemporary New Zealand art. There is a strong representation of local artists and artworks relating to Southland. Exhibitions of the collection are a major focus of the Gallery and temporary exhibitions of invited artists and group shows also feature. The annual Spring Exhibition, held in October, is the preeminent event in our calendar where work is selected from nationally submitted entries and major prizes are awarded.

The Gallery is managed by experienced curatorial staff and governed by a council of up to 12 elected members from the Invercargill Public Art Gallery Incorporated Society with representation from the Invercargill City Council.